Reptile, Avian and Small Mammal Emergency First Aid Certification Class
This course provides an introductory overview of how to manage common medical emergencies when they happen to domestic exotic animal species.
The Exotics First Aid and Care is a program designed to teach the participant the importance of proper husbandry, handling, nutrition, and first aid for a variety of exotic pets such as birds, reptiles, amphibians, and small pocket pets.
Program Description: This course provides an overview on how to prevent and manage minor wounds, and emergencies that may present a life-threatening medical emergency that can occur with our exotic pets. It focuses on proper husbandry and nutrition to help prevent common ailments, and how to apply first-aid techniques to either try to keep the animal alive or prevent its condition from getting worse prior to arriving at a veterinary facility.
Topics covered in this training include:
- The importance of proper husbandry and nutrition
- Safety techniques when working with sick and/or injured animals
- How to triage and determine if an animal is experiencing a life-threatening medical emergency
- How to restrain and properly transport sick and/or injured animals
- Understand the fundamentals of emergency first aid and how it applies to exotic pets
- How to take vital signs (pulse, respiration, CRT) and determine normal vs abnormal readings
- Learn about the importance of first aid equipment and supplies and how to use the materials during an emergency
- How to manage and provide first aid for many common medical emergencies such as severe wounds, poisoning, burns, choking and more
Registration Fee- $74.95 per person
This course in no way will teach how to administer veterinary care
Course participants will receive the following:
A copy of our full color Reference Guide E-book (printed books are currently not available for this class)
An Official Certificate (valid for 3 RACE approved CEU)
2 year subscription to the Pet Emergency Education Online Resource Center
Copyright access to use the logo to promote that you are certified
“This program 20-905763 is approved by the AAVSB RACE to offer a total of 0.00 CE Credits (0.00 max) being available to any one veterinarian: and/or 4.00 Veterinary Technician CE Credits (4.00 max). This RACE approval is for the subject matter categories of: Category Three: Non-Scientific-Practice Management/Professional Development using the delivery method of Seminar/Lecture. This approval is valid in jurisdictions which recognize AAVSB RACE; however, participants are responsible for ascertaining each board’s CE requirements. RACE does not “accredit” or “endorse” or “certify” any program or person, nor does RACE approval validate the content of the program.”
3 Professional CEUs to licensed veterinarians(click here to read our continuing education policy for veterinary professionals) This class however is a general care course that may be too basic for veterinarians.